|Name||:||Mr. Suryamani Kumar|
|Address||:||Assistant Professor-cum-Junior Scientist
Department of Dairy Technology
Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Dairy Technology,
Patna – 800014 (India)
Dr. Sanjeev Kumar is presently working as Associate Professor-cum-Senior Scientist and Head of the Department of Dairy Technology at Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Dairy Technology under Bihar Animal Sciences University, Patna. He did Ph.D. from ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana and also acquire ICAR-SRF in Dairy Technology conducted by ASRB, New Delhi. He started his carrier as Research Associate in Dairy Technology under the Network project on R & D support for Process up- gradation of Indigenous milk products for Industrial application at NDRI, Karnal (2000-2001). Subsequently, he joined and worked as Jr. Scientist and also In-charge Training Organizer, of Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Banka under the jurisdiction of Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa (2001-2006). Further, he selected and contributed as Assistant Professor, Dairy Technology at Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Dairy Technology, Patna under RAU, Pusa and promoted to Assistant Professor (Sr. Scale). He again selected and contributed as Senior Scientist-cum-Head for KVK, Nalanda under Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour (2012-2017). Under his outstanding leadership and contribution, KVK, Nalanda conferred with ICAR-Best KVK Award (Zonal), during foundation day of ICAR, 16th July 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. He has also been conferred with Best Extension Scientist award by Society for Upliftment of Rural Economy, Varanasi. Dr. Kumar has having experiences in Teaching, Research, Extension and Administration for more than 22 years in different capacity. Dr. Kumar is contributing in teaching of various courses of Dairy and Food Technology to B. Tech. (D.T.), M. Tech. (DT), M. V. Sc. (LPT), and DDT Program of IGNOU, New Delhi. Dr. Kumar has been mainly working in the area of Cheese and Fermented milk products, Traditional dairy Products and functional dairy products with special health benefits. He has developed the technology for manufacture of Feta cheese from Buffalo milk with enhanced functional attributes which was Patented by IPO, New Delhi. He has also standardized the technology for manufacture of several Bihar originated traditional dairy products like Channa based Khorma/Belgrami, Channa Balusahi etc. Apart from these, also developed an enhanced shelf life paneer by using bio-preservatives. Dr Sanjeev has published over 75 Research paper/Review paper/Book chapter/Technical /popular articles in journals/Magzines of National and international repute and presented paper in more than 30 National and international conferences. He has published 3 books and several manuals. He has to his credit numerous Editorials assignments and manuscript reviewing for both international and National journals. Dr Kumar, has also conducted various National/international conferences, 47th DIC, Seminar, workshop, skill development training, FFT, Training for ARS, Kisan Mela, Dairy Mela, training programs in various discipline of Agriculture and Allied sectors etc. as Organizing Secretary, Secretary, Co-Organizing Secretary, Co-Convenor, Course Director. Dr. Kumar has been conferred with Associate Fellowship from National Academy of Dairy Science, India Karnal at CDT-SVVU, Tirupati in 2018 and also awarded Fellowship from Society for Upliftment of rural economy, Varanasi in International Conference on Rural Livelihood Improvement by enhancing Farmers income through Sustainable Innovative Agri and Allied Enterprises at BIT, Patna in 2018.
In addition of these, Dr. Kumar has also been awarded Young Scientist Award by All India Veterinary Public Health Association in year 2010 at BVC, Patna. Dr. Kumar has also been awarded several Best paper/poster/oral awards in International/National Conferences and Seminars. He was also the recipient of prestigious Fellowship award-2023 from IDA, New Delhi in 49th DIC, Gujrat in 2023.
Area of specialization:
- Formulated dairy Foods
- Packaging of dairy products
- Fermented milk products
- Traditional dairy Products and functional dairy products
Five Best Publications:
- Kumar Suryamani, Paul SC, Kumar S (2015). Effect of varying level of dried milk proportion on formulation and reconstitution of Phirni mix powder. (Published on: doi: 10.1007/s13197-013-1106-8) Journal of Food Science & Technology, 52(2):1206-11 (NAAS Rating 7.85)
- Kumar, S; Kanwajia, S.K. and Kumar, Suryamani, Khatkar, S (2011). Effect of rate of addition of starter culture on textural characteristics of buffalo milk Feta type cheese during ripening. (DOI 10.1007/s13197-011-0565-z). Journal of food science and Technology, (NAAS Rating 7.85)
- Kumar S. Kanwajia, S.K. and Kumar, Suryamani (2014). Incorporation of Lactobacillus adjuncts culture to improve the quality of Feta-type cheese made using buffalo milk. (doi: 10.1007/s13197-014-1560-y). Journal of Food Science & Technology. (NAAS Journal Rating: 7.85)
- Kumar, J; Gupta, V.K; Kumar, Sanjeev and Kumar, Su. (2013). Effect of coagulants on the quality of chhana and rasogolla obtained from admixture of buffalo milk and butter milk. (doi1007/s13197-013-1146-0). Journal of Food Science & Technology. (NAAS Journal Rating: 7.85)
- Kumar, S; Kanwajia, S.K. and Kumar, Suryamani, Khatkar, S.(2012). Comparative study of buffalo and cow milk Feta-type cheese with respect to sensory and Biochemical characteristics during ripening. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. (Published online: 28 August 2012, doi:10.1111/jfpp.12036) (NAAS Journal Rating:7.29)
Membership of Professional Societies:
- Elected Member (Research and Education) IDA (EZ), Kolkata for 2022-2025
- Elected Member (Research and Education) IDA (EZ), Kolkata for 2019-2022.
- Member IDA (EZ), Bihar Chapter since 2011 to continue
- Life Member, Indian Dairy Association (IDA), New Delhi
- Life Member, Dairy Technology Society of India, Karnal
- Life Member, Societies for Conservation of Domestic Animal Bio-diversity, Karnal
- Life Member, Association of Food Science and Technology, Mysore
- Life member, Indian Society of Extension Education, Agra
- Life member, Society for Upliftment of Rural Economy, Varanasi
- Member, Indian Science Congress, New Delhi
Completed Research Project:
PI and Co-PI of Research/ Extension Projects
- Project entitled “Market assessment and process upgradation of Indigenous milk product of Bihar origin Khorma and Channa Balusahi“ at Dairy Technology Division, S.G.I.D.T Patna completed in March 2015.Contributed as PI and Co-PI of Research Project. (Funded by Govt of Bihar)
- Project entitled “Enhancement of shelf life of Paneer by using Bio-Preservative“ at Dairy Technology Division S.G.I.D.T, Patna as PI of Research Project since 2013 to 2016.
Honours and Awards:
- Young Achiever Award-2019 in International conference on Global Perspective in Agricultural and Applied Sciences for Food and Environmental Security (GAAFES-2019) at UGC-HRDC Hall, Kumaun University, Nainital (1-2 December, 2019) organized by Agricultural & Environmental Technology Development Society (AETDS), U.S. Nagar, UK (2019).
- Young Scientist Award in National Conference on “Rural Livelihood Security through Innovative Agri-entrepreneurship” at ICAR- CPRS, Patna (12-13 March, 2016) organized by SURE, Varanashi (2016).
- Best Poster Award (First Prize) in National Conference on Rural Livelihood Security through Innovative Agri-entrepreneurship at ICAR- CPRS, Patna (12-13 March, 2016) organized by SURE, Varanashi at ICAR-CPRS, Patna (2016).
- Best Teacher Award by Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour (2015).
- Best Poster Award (1st Prize) in International Conference on Sustainable Innovations in Dairying (ICSID 2015) organized by DTSI, Karnal and BAU, Sabour at Rajgir, Bihar.
- Best Research Poster Award (1st Prize) in conference jointly organized by BHU, Varanashi and SASNET at BHU, Varanashi (2011).